Monday, October 19, 2009

Namma Park

Disclaimer: 30% of the post is in Kannada, so kindly adjusht. I have translated in English (literally) for non-kannadigas, aint me sweet?

There is a park very close to where I stay. Exactly six and a half (6 ½) steps away from my place. Or maybe seven (7). It’s an old one. When I say old, I mean O-L-D. It has always been called “the Park” by all of us. As you can see we aren’t a creative bunch of people. Our lives, I mean the lives of everyone (almost everyone) living in our area, are somehow connected to The Park. You could say that if, God forbid, BBMP decides to demolish the park, the officials are bound to face some angry saree clad aunties/ajjis* and panche** clad thathas*** protesting in front of the park with a flask filled with strong coffee right next to them.

I can demonstrate how important The Park is -

“Park tarkaari-yammana hatra hogi kottambri soppu togonD baa”

(Go to that park vegetable seller (female) and get off coriander leaves)

Or

“chapli holskobekaa? Banni, ille park hatra obba idaane"

(you wanting hawai chappal fixing? Lets go to our park cobbler)

Or

“accident-aa? Park yedrugaa?”

(all accidents tend to happen near/next to/in front of The Park)

Or

“Lo Mahesha, park hatra hogi Bajji tinnoNa baaro”

(Hi there Mahesha, come lets have hot hot potato bajji’s next to the park).


So on and so forth. You get the picture.

No? I can explain. The above examples don’t really give you a picture of what’s inside the park isn’t it? My bad. Will try again.

A couple of year’s back this park was not-so-world-famous-in-Malleshwaram. Many people didn’t know about its existence, except of course for the residents of our area. Till recently, my previous firm’s cab drivers wondered if I had visions when I’d ask them to wait near The Park. “Park-aa? Yellide madam?” (you say park? Are you out of your mind?). Once in the cab I would glower at the cab driver thinking how the hell he can miss this lovely park. One day, after thinking exactly for one and half minutes (1 ½ minutes), I knew the answer.

The Park was maintained just like any other BBMP parks. No maintenance what so ever.

As a little adorable kid I remember coming to the park with my Mom and sister (note: fuzzy memory). Mom would let us play for sometime inside the park, tell us stories and then we’d leave before 6 PM. The Park, after 6 PM would be filled with drunkards and shady men smoking beedis & cigarettes. So like all good kids we would follow mom and once back at home the two of us played war games. Not really. My sister would do her homework and I’d just watch her (I was a toddler and a toddler has a choice not to study).

After few years the park was given a make over. Workers cleared congress giDa**** , shrubs and weeds; put more stone benches and built a path. We were very happy to find a path to walk. By then I was a big girl (around 11 years old). Along with my neighbors, I would walk for sometime and exercise (err OK you may laugh. pffftt) and leave before 6 (coz of the said reason). The Park was looked after by a man whose name was prefixed with ‘Lazy bugga’. He moved around the park like a zombie.

Our beloved Park started deteriorating all over again.

The next stage came in early 2000 when they once again cleared gida etc and appointed a new gardner. Well it looked alright. We never really bothered going inside. After a couple of years the authorities realized this was going no where (or was it election time?) and came up with an idea to give it a face-lift. They constructed a platform, put up nice bright benches (the stone benches were retained of course, along with crow / pigeon sh*t). The path was widened. No shady men were found loitering around. Most importantly they hired a good gardener.

OK stop! Where am I heading with all this nonsense you might wanna know? Yes, I shall come to that. After the entire make-over (over the years), we now have a very chic park. Aunties, uncles, Ajjis and thathas have a laughing club. Kids are back! Bless them. They play inside the park. There is one all woman’s group. These women sit and talk about yoga, diabetes, weddings, Obama, Amerikaaa -you can hear conversations such as “My son working in US no, so will go there next month to look after grandchildren and this time Subba***** has promised a visit to Niagra falls.. teehee” or “Moole mane Radhamma avra magaLa madve gottaaitante? Ade ri same-u, louv marriage-u” (heard corner house Radhamma’s daughter has found handy husband at pInfy matrimonial service?) -and other serious stuff.

The latest addition to this wonderful park is a fountain! Yes *punching air*.. Those of you who wanna visit this tourist destination can contact me. Please take a look at our new ‘amusement’ park. I know the photography isn't praise worthy, ahem, still...

(picture courtesy: my sister's Nokia phone).

*old ladies

** white colored sarong worn by men

***old men

**** Parthenium weed

*****I am not going to explain


45 plate meals:

Anonymous said...

Congress gida :P
I know only one park in Malleswaram, which I think is close to the market (suck at directions) Last time I was there, I heard all the convos u mentioned in your post :D
Now, I have to figure where The Park is!

Anonymous said...

i am not kannada speaking but still enjoyed the post!!

great job..

vimmuuu said...

No idea of all those areas mentioned, but you have a fountain in the park and thats nice !

so how OLD is this "The Park" ?

Swaram said...

Nanna yaake park ge karkond hoglilla mathe :P

Fountain ella idya - super maja alva :D
Nim ajji hogthara park ge :D

Shruthi said...

@Swat, Is it! I love to eavesdrop on such conversations. The Park is a little away from 8th cross. You are welcome to visit anytime :D

@Shraddha, :) thanks for reading it, even though you don’t understand Kannada :)

Shruthi said...

@Vimmuuu, heheh it must be more than 20 years old. and yeah fountain and all is cool innit :)

@Swaram, heheh time-ae saakaaglilla so park ge elli karkonDu hogli ninna :P ajji hogalla, hodre tv serial miss agogatte alwa :P

dharmabum said...

hmmm. all these parks are driving out us bums n making it habitat of 'decent' 'family' people. not fair :P

Shruthi said...

@db, hehehe come on 'decent family' people are allowed to enjoy some solitary time in parks. pssst.. we can come up with a schedule if you want :P

Aryan-Arjun said...

womens group talk in the park is too good....
Enjoyed the post

Unknown said...

nice one :)

and i remeber this park :) i think we two have been for a walk there once or twice :)
fountain ella banbittidya?? super :)

Shruthi said...

@AM, :) thanks. these women discuss everything under the sun. fun to listen to them :)

@Ranju, yes but back then it wasn't all that well maintained ansatte alwa. this time when you come home we'll take a walk there :D

lostworld said...

Superb superb post! Cannot pin-point what I loved, but it had me laughing :-D

Btw, I've awarded you, please do check my blog for details!! Hope u like it.

Shruthi said...

@Lostworld, thank yew :D and thanks so much for the award.

Vidya said...

Loved this post :P "World-famous-in-malleshwaram" ha ha ha...

I have a park close by my house and I can very much relate to all the "park mahila mandali" conversations you have captured...

Manu Vyas said...

Sakkat! Many digressions only made it funnier :). Also loved the special effects *****I am not going to explain. hahah

Shruthi said...

@Vidya, firstly, welcome to my blog :) and thanks for liking this post :) would love to visit the park near your house just to over hear 'mahila mandali' conversation :P

@Manu, heheh yes you know how often I digress :P thankuuu for liking it I say.

MADHU RAO | (INDImag.COM) said...

Meandered in and the Kannada kept me in. Nice post.

Loved Swaram's 'ajji hogtara park ge?' and your 'hodre tv serial miss agogatte alwa '. When I call I need to make sure it does not conflict with TNS's serials ! :-) .

Where in Malleshwaram is this park ? I was betting it could be the one in SP Extension across from the bullock cart stand (sorry speaking from 15 years ago ! ), but the photo threw me off ...

BrownPhantom said...

Hey, thanks for the translations.Having a park right in front of my place itself, I can so identify with your joy to see it back to glory :).

Shruthi said...

@Madhu Rao, womygawd! you are bang on! are you an "ex-SP Extension-ite?" :P
btw welcome to my space =)

@BP, yeyy you are back. Its nice to have a well maintained park :)

MADHU RAO | (INDImag.COM) said...

Shruthi,
Born brought up in SP Extn 5 th cross : the bayammana angadi, Gitanjali theater, Swamy and brothers et al. We have since moved to Banashankari but the heart's still a Malleshwaram one :-)

Thanks for your comment on my SP Extn Ganesha Habba post. That post was X-posted on churumuri and via comments I found a few people of 5th cross that I had lost touch with ..

http://churumuri.wordpress.com/2009/08/21/how-our-govinda-got-his-groove-back-with-ganesha/

Small world indeed. If you know the Rajesh and Shantaram mentioned in the comments it will be an even smaller one :-)

Shruthi said...

@Madhu, Nam oorinavru neevu :) naanu 7ne adda rasteyalliddini.. do you know anyone from here?
The names sound very familiar.. can recognize if I see them am sure.. The best part about SP Extn is that it has retained its charm. You get the same nice warm welcoming vibe when you enter the place :)

MADHU RAO | (INDImag.COM) said...

4-5 th cross nalli tumba jana nanna friends iddaru. 6-7 nalli swalpa kadime. But we would constantly pass thru 6th and 7th. 6th for the Jayanthi Clinic, Geetha Tailors, Raghavendra Swamy Mutt, 102,104 bus stop et al...

Good to hear SP Extn has retained it's charm -- it had plenty and am sure still does. Thinking back I feel stupid that I did not keep in touch with friends from there, especially given the reason for not being in touch being that so many people would want us to visit them(20+ houses) if we made a trip. All of that painfully reminded us of how we fought with our dad to resist the move out of there, but lost it anyway ..

I'm adding you to our blogroll..

Shruthi said...

oh 102, 104, 176 innu oDaaDtive.. 176 as always runs full at any given point. Now that you have got in touch with people from SP extn, do visit us sometime :)

and I'll be delighted to be blogrolled. done the same :)

kanagu said...

Hi Shruthi,

Congrats congrats :) :) I am really happy and you deserve it:)

and you have been awarded:

you have been awarded:

http://kanaguonline.wordpress.com/2009/11/01/awards-time/

Perspectives said...

God forbid, ever you need a lawyer to fight a case against a BBMC, feel free to cantact me. Lawyers shall be there at your doorsteps!

Shruthi said...

@Kanagu, Thank you for the award. will pick it up :)

@Ajay, wowiee! thankuu thankuuu! :D err no fees I hope? :P

MADHU RAO | (INDImag.COM) said...

Shruthi,
Thanks for the comment ri. Did not write anything for Blog-a-ton ? I thought I saw your name in the blogrol..

I may reference your 'Namma Park' in my justification for who I voted ;-) , hope that's ok ?

Shruthi said...

@Madhu, heh thats alright :). but have no clue how blog-a-ton works :P

Karthik said...

Nice post!

I love bangalore esp for the parks and yeah, obviously the weather :)

I haven't had any chance to live near a park until I came to Bangalore.

I have seen all the happenings you have mentioned in the park near by my place in Bangalore.

Nice observation and neatly pen down. :)

Shruthi said...

@Karthik, oh you stay in a Bangalore too! goodie :) Parks are fun. you get to be yourself and observe people, my favorite activity :)
so do you work / study here?

Karthik said...

Hmmmm... Yeah, I have been staying in Bangalore for more than 2 years now...

I work here. Did i sound like a college student? If so, thank you so much for the compliment ;)

Shruthi said...

heheh well then do take it as a compliment =)
good to know you like Bangalore :)

Karthik said...

I think you work, am i right? :)

lostworld said...

Yenama hudugi..post-e illa ;-)

Shruthi said...

@Lostworld, hehe howdu :( too much kelsa ..

Karthik said...

looking forward for the next post :)

Aryan-Arjun said...

No posts???

Anonymous said...

Panche is a white colored sarong?!!! LMAO!

Good post! I hope to read you more often. Such things happen in bangalore! Strange things and I really enjoyed the kannada bits in the post

Anonymous said...

where did ya go...no updates?

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by Shruthi.

Tumba Silence Ide illi :-) . Break togotiddira ?

Shruthi said...

Karthik, Shraddha, Madhu and Aryan - was a bit busy with work. Hope you like my new post :)

@Niveditha, Thanks for your comment! and thank you for liking the post. hope to see more of you :)

ani_aset said...

hehe see how nokia helped you with the post..the work of nokia lies at the core of entire post *punches the air* :D

Shruthi said...

@Ani, bah! :P

Sandeep said...

:)))))
Hilarious post!

congress giDa****
Those four stars made me wonder if it is some Kannada slang that you want to censor :))

Will look on Google maps where this park is :P

Shruthi said...

@Sandeep, glad you liked it. no slang and all pa hehe :P
and please let me know if you find this on google maps. if not you are welcome to malleshwaram :)
thanks for stopping by